Dexion Satellite systems: the ultimate in space optimising, efficient and safe high-density storage
With businesses increasingly opting and identifying a critical requirement for high-density pallet storage systems due to the cost efficiencies and space saving features they afford, Dexion has developed a state-of-the-art high-density Satellite storage solution that boasts the largest number of installations in Australia today.
Satellite storage offers substantial productivity and storage advantages compared to typical ‘block stack’ and ‘drive-in’ storage applications. These include space optimisation and increased utilisation benefits, safety assurance and improved productivity.
The ultimate in space optimisation
Satellite solutions are most suited to businesses requiring high-density storage of multiple pallets. The satellite solution optimises storage against available volume by leveraging available depth space.
The stack height is limited only by the warehouse’s dimensional reach. Stack depth is typically 5-15 deep – significantly more than other configurations – but can be deeper if the product profile permits. Unlike other configurations, satellites are also uni-directional – they can be loaded from one end and unloaded from the other, producing greater storage capacity, as well as packaging efficiencies.
Satellite solutions offer significant benefits when it comes to operator safety. Unlike conventional ‘drive-in’ racking systems where the operator drives into the lane of the racking structure, a forklift truck places the pallet on the rails ready for the satellite unit to move the pallet into position. The pallets are then collected from the front of the rack for retrieval by the satellite unit. As neither the operator nor the forklift enter the racking structure, operator safety and rack protection are assured.
The satellite solution marks a quantum leap in productivity from traditional storage systems. Unlike traditional selective storage solutions that require operators to travel all over the warehouse to putaway or retrieve pallets, the satellite operator always returns to the same location or zone to undertake the transactional task. This significantly reduces travel time for the operator and increases warehouse productivity.
Automatic battery recharge
Automatic battery recharging options are perfectly suited to businesses operating multiple satellite units. As the battery recharge is managed automatically, the operator does not have to exit the forklift to replace it, thereby saving time. Additionally, charge cycles are auto-balanced increasing the longevity of the battery, which in turn, reduces the life-cycle cost of the overall system operation.
Dexion – leaders in delivering Satellite solutions
As Australia’s leading provider of satellite solutions, Dexion’s robust, high-density pallet storage system can be tailored to any application, as it’s scalable to both warehouse capacity and task activity.
Intelligently designed for longevity and quality of operation, an 8-wheel design disperses the load across the storage rails enabling greater carrying capacity and longer rail life. The unit also features a patented mechanical lifting motion, which means no hydraulics and fewer moving parts.
The system is controlled by a handheld remote or automatically via Dexion’s Real-time Distribution System. A status indicator on the front face provides vital information to the operator, and a unique lifting function also allows pallets to be densely packed along the rail. The distance between pallets is adjustable between 0 mm and 200 mm, increasing productivity potential.
Dexion’s satellite features a lithium-ion battery that will power the machine for up to eight hours with minimal self-discharge when not in use. An automatic battery recharge solution is also available in addition to a range of standard battery changeover options.
The satellite’s rails are fitted with detection holes, which are aligned with the satellite unit sensors. High tolerance rail joints allow for smooth running of the satellite unit in deeper storage applications. Collision protection at the front and rear pallets ensures safe handling of overhanging pallets.
Dexion’s satellite solution boasts the following key features:
• Capability of moving up to 60 pallets per hour
• Broad operating temperature spanning from -30 degrees to +40 degrees
• Cart operation control by side sensors, front sensors and top sensors
• Emergency stop safety bar at the front and rear of the unit
• Optional T-bar to ensure safe handing of the satellite unit
• LED display providing the operator with visual confirmation of the satellite unit status
• 3-4 hour recharge time – automatic battery recharging solution available
• Variety of battery changeover options including, in-rack battery changeover option, traditional battery charging rooms, and battery changeover process
• Brushes located at the front of the guide wheels or along the side of the satellite unit. These sweep the surface of the rail to ensure a clean running surface for the wheels
• Eccentric drive lifting process enabling the unit to lift half the load at a time to prolong battery life
• 8-wheel design for greater carrying capacity and longer rail life
• Guide wheels for increased stability
• Satellite unit’s weight is 250 kg
• Maximum load weight is 2,000 kg