With locations all across Australia, it's easy to locate a Dexion representative near you.
When it comes to working with heavy equipment like Dock Levellers, incidents could easily happen at the loading dock area.
Safety emphasis and putting precautions in place can prevent serious, fatal injuries & ensure cargo is protected from mishandling and damages when operating dock levellers. This is especially so at loading bays where loading and unloading activities are taking place. Common incidents include vehicle-related accidents and slips, trips and falls.
Here are 9 reminders that will keep the loading dock area running smoothly:
1. Ensure that operators are trained and are competent on how to operate the equipment. A copy of the User Manual must be made readily available and accessible to all workers.
2. Never operate the equipment if there are unauthorised personnel in the loading dock area.
3. Emphasise on safety practices that must be followed at the dock area such as:
Wearing PPE including brightly coloured vests and anti-skid shoes
Not running at the loading dock area
Not jumping on or off a loading dock staying away from dock edges
Avoid body contact with dock leveller during loading & unloading.
4. Check the dock plate capacity to avoid overloading the dock leveller.
5. Prevent slips and trips from happening by:
Clearing off any hazardous objects at the loading dock that could cause an accident.
Keep floors around the dock levellers dry and clean from trash, dirt and grease.
6. Do not use dock leveller equipment if the height of the truck exceeds the recommended operating range.
7. Display safety operating signages clearly. They should be placed visibly at eye level, as a constant reminder to all workers on safety guidelines and regulations.
8. Consistently practice truck safety:
Check that the truck is position properly in loading dock before carry out loading or unloading operation.
Keep away from the dock leveller when a trailer is approaching or leaving the loading bay area.
Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by switching off the engine when docked.
Keep the truck safely locked in place and prevent vehicle drive-off or rolling away with a vehicle restraint system.
9. Schedule regular inspections and maintenance visits by the vendor to ensure dock levellers are running smoothly. Should any damages occur to dock levellers, inform the vendor immediately to check and repair the equipment.
Safe Work Load Signs
As a safety compliance requirement, Safe Work Load Signs com...